Missing Bookmarks

Author
SarahT
User
  • Total Posts : 0
  • Reward points: 0
2019/10/24 13:37:32 (permalink)

Missing Bookmarks

I've marked several spots in my books with bookmarks in @Voice Reader. But now when I go back to find them, they are all gone. How might I recover or find these bookmarks again?

5 Replies Related Threads

Admin
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 275
    Re: Missing Bookmarks 2019/10/24 16:24:33 (permalink)
    Which version of @Voice app did you use? And are you opening exactly the same ebook files on which you placed bookmarks? Also, did you uninstall/reinstall @Voice at any time between making the bookmarks and their disappearance? Or did you go into Android system settings - Apps, selected @Voice and and executed "clear storage" function? Both uninstall/reinstall or clear storage would delete all the files and other data the app had saved.

It could be also that some system storage cleaning app or component deleted the files saved by @Voice app to "clear junk" and give you more free space. If you are aware of any such "cleaning" going on your device, you should configure it to leave @Voice app folder intact.

What you could do, but I don't see much hope: find a good File Explorer app (e.g. ES File Explorer from Google Play), set in in its settings to show also hidden files and folders. Then navigate with the file explorer to @Voice folder app (usually something like /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.hyperionics.avar/files) and enter the directory named .config there. See if there are any files there with names ending with .bmk. If you find such files, copy them also first to e.g. download directory to have a backup copies. Then click each of these files and open it as a plain text file. The 2nd line in each of them will have the original file name of an ebook, document or other article for which these bookmarks were created. Let me know if there are any bookmark files there for the ebooks, that you want to recover. Most probably these files were deleted somehow though.

Greg
    SarahT
    User
    Re: Missing Bookmarks 2020/04/21 18:29:42 (permalink)
    I am currently using Ver. 19.5.8 - what seems to be the most recent version. I am always opening the exact same file. I haven't uninstalled, reinstalled, or cleared the storage. As best as I can tell, nothing is being deleted by the system storage. Lately, when I make bookmarks, they are not being saved at all.
    Admin
    Administrator
    Re: Missing Bookmarks 2020/04/21 20:12:52 (permalink)
    What kind of a file are you reading and how exactly do you open it - what do you press and where to open it? I just checked a book that I read months ago, and all the bookmarks are still there.
    SarahT
    User
    Re: Missing Bookmarks 2020/04/22 05:57:32 (permalink)
    It is a PDF, and normally I open the files through the menu (the open folder symbol at the top of the screen), and browse by folders. I have also tried opening the file through the reading list and that does the same thing (no bookmarks, losing my place).
    Admin
    Administrator
    Re: Missing Bookmarks 2020/04/22 11:57:35 (permalink)
    It may be that in the past you opened that PDF and extracted text in "Plain text" format. This was the only format available for text extraction from PDFs in older versions of HyperSnap. Now by default it extracts text to HTML/EPUB format, so old bookmarks don't match it. If you need to see the old bookmarks, open that PDF file from the "Open" button on top of @Voice screen, then, when "PDF Text Import Settings" screen appears, choose on top the "Plain text" format. Chances are the old bookmarks will be still there then.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1