Author
Albatross
User
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2013/03/24 02:53:20 (permalink)

Cannot register hotkey

For the last 12 months or so, whenever I start HyperSnap (ver 6.13.02) it says it cannot register the F12 key as a hotkey because it may be in use by another program. This happens even if HyperSnap is the only application running. I've been searching for months on the Internet to try and find out a way of determining what program has hijacked the F12 key but have either come up with responses that say you can't find out, or the procedures recommended by the various forums and discussion groups do not work. Since HyperSnap itself seems to know that the F12 key is being used elsewhere, there must be a way of releasing it. Perhaps the programmers who created HyperSnap can help. Is there a registry key or some other flag that lets HyperSnap know that the F12 key is not available?

9 Replies Related Threads

TomD101
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 303
    • Scores: 5
    Re:Cannot register hotkey 2013/03/24 09:17:13 (permalink)
    Hello Albatross,
    having a hotkey registered means, the prog does not have to run to block a hotkey. You should have a look at the tray bottom right, where your resident programs are listed. Maybe HyperCam, Webshots, a virus scanner or any other program that may run without you "seeing" it, as it does so for months.
    Until Greg - the programmer - finds time to answer, you may be lucky looking within the batch of resident programs. Try shutting down any of them one by one and after each program exit try to assign F12 to HS. If it eventually works, you'll have the prog that originally uses it.
    By the way, you can reprogram even standard hotkeys of HS to another combination.
    And I found a useful entry at http://techie-buzz.com/so...egistered-hotkeys.html .They recommend a freeware prog to find out what app registered what hotkey. I did not test it, so take your shot.
    Have Success
    Thomas
    Lesser Admin
    post edited by TomD101 - 2013/03/24 09:30:24

The more things stay, the more they change the sane.
    (52 > max. 0)
    Support
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 4492
    • Scores: 29
    Re:Cannot register hotkey 2013/03/24 09:50:05 (permalink)
    Actually F12 key cannot be assigned as a hot key under Windows system... I should block it and not allow it to be entered into hot key selection screen. Will put this on my "To do" list. See more on this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com...6309%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Microsoft says there that:
    "The F12 key is reserved for use by the debugger at all times, so it should not be registered as a hot key. Even when you are not debugging an application, F12 is reserved in case a kernel-mode debugger or a just-in-time debugger is resident."

I suggest using HyperSnap 7 "Hot Keys" button, find which function tries to assign F12 key as a hot key, and change it to something else.

Greg

post edited by Support - 2013/03/24 09:51:48
    RobertH
    User
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:Cannot register hotkey 2014/05/31 22:57:47 (permalink)
    Hi Greg, Please bring the F12 key back.  I assign this key in all my programs to SAVE including HyperSnap 6, but it no longer works in 7.  The following list of my programs all use F12:

MS Word
    PhotoShop CS6
    Corel Painter X3
    Manga Studio
    Clip Studio Paint
    Boxer
    Open Office Writer

The list goes on. Even Microsoft Word lets you reassign it. Anyway I got around not having it in HyperSnap 7 by using AutoHotKey which works fine, but it would be nice to have it natively.

On another note, how can I prevent the ESC key from minimizing HS7? When I want to quit a multi-part operation like "Cut out vertical strip" the ESC key cancels this operation, which I want, but also minimizes HS7, which is really annoying.

On last thing Greg, in HS6 when you make a selection, the status bar would display the x y Offset instead of the x y mouse position. I used this all the time in my work flow. Can you bring this behavior back in HS7, or much better still, when making a rectangular selection, display the x y size of the selection, in the status bar, until the selection is cancelled.

Thanks so much for your consideration on these issues Greg. I'm such a huge fan of your program and use it daily, having recently upgraded to ver 7.

post edited by RobertH - 2014/05/31 23:00:29
    Support
    Administrator
    Re:Cannot register hotkey 2014/06/01 08:05:04 (permalink)
    F12 was always restricted under Windows and could not be registered as hot key. Microsoft reserved it for some kernel debugging operations. I don't know, maybe it can be still used as a regular shortcut key within a program, but not a global hot key, and that's how the other programs use it. Would have to investigate it.

Escape key to minimize window: turn it off under File menu, "Options" button (near bottom-right of the panel).

Offset instead of position - you're right, it's something I should correct in hs7 code.

Greg
    RobertH
    User
    Re:Cannot register hotkey 2014/06/01 15:06:57 (permalink)
    Thanks so much Greg!

That solved my ESC key problem... and for looking at the Offset code.

About the F12 key, I misunderstood, I did not want it as a global hot key, just to work within HS7 as a regular short cut key.

Thanks again!
    RobertH
    User
    Re:Cannot register hotkey 2014/06/01 16:47:43 (permalink)
    Hey Greg,

The Presentation mode toggle doesn't work when in Ribbon Mode.
    post edited by RobertH - 2014/06/01 16:49:54
    RobertH
    User
    Re:Cannot register hotkey 2014/06/01 16:56:40 (permalink)
    Is it possible to nudge shapes using the cursor keys? If not, this is request to add this feature. Thanks.
    Support
    Administrator
    Re:Cannot register hotkey 2014/06/01 17:08:09 (permalink)
    About presentation mode toggle - just tested it, seems to work fine as it always did. Please tell me exactly how to reproduce the problem with it.

"Nudging" shapes with arrow keys - make sure that "Mouse keys" button on the Setup ribbon tab is pressed. When it is, you can move the mouse cursor with arrow keys anytime, if only the "drawing" area of hs7 has keyboard focus (click on it once if the mouse does not move with the arrow keys). Then, put the mouse into the mode and position you need for your "nudging", and press the Enter key on the keyboard. This simulates holding the left mouse button, and to indicate it, the mouse cursor blinks. Use arrow keys (or mouse if you want) to move the cursor, and whatever is "held" by it as well. You can move the shapes this way with the arrow keys, or move individual points on the shapes etc. Press the Enter key again to simulate releasing the left mouse button (cursor stops blinking)

Greg
    RobertH
    User
    Re:Cannot register hotkey 2014/06/01 19:16:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for the nudge tutorial, works perfect!

I found out about the Presentation mode glitch. When the HS7 window is maximized, Presentation mode works in non-Ribbon mode but not in Ribbon mode. If the HS7 window is not maximized it works in both modes. To toggle it, I used the bottom right hand button on the drawing tools palette.

I was in a maximized window and so it looked like it did not work with the Ribbon.

Thanks again Greg.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1