Author
mauricem
User
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2012/04/03 14:20:25 (permalink)

How to save settings after upgrade

Recently, we did an upgrade from 6.81.05 to 7.13.04 and all the user's lost their custom settings. We used to copy a backup of the configuration ini file to C:\Program Files\HyperSnap, but this folder is denied access by the users. Is there a recommended way to backup and restore settings? Does the lack of folder access change anything for the users?

Please provide this additional data: 
Exact HyperSnap version in use (from Help/About menu): __7.13.04____ 
Windows version in use: __XP\7____ 

11 Replies Related Threads

Support
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 4492
    • Scores: 29
    Re:How to save settings after upgrade 2012/04/03 14:57:03 (permalink)
    I'm sorry, v7 is much different from v6 and the configuration file from v6 does not apply to v7. You could create a default configuration by customizing a copy of HyperSnap 7 the way you need, and then saving it into HprSnap7.ini. You could then copy this file (Administrator access required) to the same folder where HprSnap7.exe is installed. After that, upon next run, the settings will be read and saved to individual user's registry key upon the next startup of HyperSnap 7 program.

Any customizations that the users do themselves are saved to the registry as well, the program folder access is not needed for that. A user may also save the configuration to a .ini file at another location, and read it back from that location with the function under "Setup" ribbon item or with a command line switch.

Greg
    NickM
    User
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re:How to save settings after upgrade 2012/04/10 20:16:13 (permalink)
    I've found that customising the quick whatever it's called bar at the top of the window doesn't always save its settings. I always add the "cut out strip" image commands, and probably have to add them back 50% of the time.

HS 7.13.05 on Win 7/x64
    Edit. Just tried this again. Uninstalled HS, reinstalled the most recent version. Saved the config to a CFG file before uninstalling, restored the CFG after installing. The QAT customisations don't get restored.
    post edited by NickM - 2012/04/10 20:23:30
    Support
    Administrator
    Re:How to save settings after upgrade 2012/04/11 09:13:03 (permalink)
    When upgrading from an older version 7 to newer 7, do not uninstall - just run the newly downloaded installer to replace the EXE and DLL files. This will preserve all the settings saved in the registry.

The toolbar and menu customizations are saved in the config files, but unfortunately reading this file from an already running copy of HyperSnap 7 won't restore these values. To restore them properly, you could copy the HprSnap7.ini file to the same folder, where the program (HprSnap7.exe) is installed, making sure that HyperSnap 7 is NOT RUNNING at the time you copy the file there, and making sure that the file receives the current date and time (e.g. edit and save it with Notepad, without actually changing the contents). When you run HyperSnap 7 next time, it will find the .ini file being newer than its last save of the settings to the registry, so it will use the data from .ini file instead. When it exits next time (make sure to use File/Exit, not shutdown the system with HyperSnap 7 still running minimized to taksbar or system tray), it will save these new values to the registry and use them next time etc.

Greg
    NickM
    User
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re:How to save settings after upgrade 2012/04/11 22:09:30 (permalink)
    OK Greg I'll try this. Is this .ini file process different to V6, because customisations did seem to "stick" there, without having to copy the ini file.
    Support
    Administrator
    Re:How to save settings after upgrade 2012/04/12 11:32:34 (permalink)
    Actually, v6 worked exactly the same as v7 in that respect... Maybe you were not uninstalling older version 6 before upgrading to a newer 6.xx, so you kept all your settings. The same would be true for v7 if you follow this suggestion.

Greg
    NeilBH
    User
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:How to save settings after upgrade 2013/07/04 17:16:37 (permalink)
    Can you tell me where in the registy I would find these settings for V6?
    aoz
    User
    • Total Posts : 305
    Re: How to save settings after upgrade, REVISITED 2017/03/27 08:22:36 (permalink)
    Greg,
    in ver. 8, which is the actual default INI file that is used?

Also, if I SAVED config stuff to an .ini file, named Hsnap_ini_CLONE_ACROSS_MACHINES.ini, then copied this to my testing machine, and restarted Hypersnap and LOADED this .ini file, would all the settings be in there (quicksaves, menu's, etc), or do I have to use the DEFAULT .ini file?
    thanks
    nick

Admin
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 275
    • Scores: 6
    Re: How to save settings after upgrade, REVISITED 2017/03/27 14:29:28 (permalink)
    The settings for HyperSnap v.6 are saved in the registry at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Hyperionics\HyperSnap 6

The saved .ini file may not have all the settings like menu customizations etc. You could also export the registry key and import it on another machine, but then things like saved paths may not be valid.
    post edited by Admin - 2017/03/27 14:31:12
    aoz
    User
    Re: How to save settings after upgrade, REVISITED 2017/03/27 14:34:10 (permalink)
    greg, thanks for reply
    i do have hypersnap 8, but no problem.

QUESTION
    what would be the registry key to use (I don't mind experimenting with that, i hvae backups of disk images, etc)
    AND, will using the registry key back up all the settings?  (I can check the paths, but my concern is icons, menu objects, printer settings, etc)
    thansk
    nick

QUESTION
    which would be better, if I'm after all the customization; the registry, or INI?
    thanks

Admin
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 275
    • Scores: 6
    Re: How to save settings after upgrade, REVISITED 2017/03/27 14:51:41 (permalink)
    Version 8 actually saves all the data to HprSnap8.ini file, unlike version 6. However if you read it back in from the Setup ribbon tab "Read CFG" function, it cannot apply all the menu/ribbon customizations etc., as these must be read during program startup only. Here is what you could do:

- Save the HprSnap8.ini file from the Setup ribbon tab, "Save CFG" button.
    - When you want to read it back in, on the same or different computer, first EXIT COMPLETELY HyperSnap 8 through File/Exit menu. Then copy the HprSnap8.ini file to the same directory where the main EXE file of HyperSnap 8 is (the file named HprSnap8.exe), and make sure that the HprSnap8.ini file gets the current date and time saved, e.g. edit it slightly with Notepad and save.
    - Start HyperSnap 8, it will read the configuration from HprSnap8.ini file, as the date - time on that file is newer than the last save to the registry. Whatever it reads from this .ini file, it will use instantly, and also will save all these settings to the registry for future use.

Greg
    aoz
    User
    Re: How to save settings after upgrade, REVISITED 2017/03/27 17:39:14 (permalink)
    ok, sounds good, thanks
    nick

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1