Long pause on text.

Author
mmm
User
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2015/05/08 09:01:39 (permalink)

Long pause on text.

In "Edit Speech" section I'd like to provide some text that would translate into a long pause, then proceed. Is there a way to do that?

I tried entering a bunch spaces, periods, multiple new lines with periods, special characters. @Voice either ignores them - no pause, or reads them out loud (e.g. "hash tag"). Is there a secret combination that would make it pause for a moment?

Thanks!

2 Replies Related Threads

Admin
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 275
    Re: Long pause on text. 2015/05/08 16:18:16 (permalink)
    It is possible to do this with TTS voices that support SSML tags (Speech Synthesis Markup Language). It's tricky though, because currently @Voice tries to remove all HTML and XML tags to provide smooth reading. Here is how I managed to do this with IVONA TTS English voice Kendra:

The actual SSML command for say a 5 seconds pause is:

<break time="5000ms"/>

However as noted above, @Voice will remove the tag. Therefore, I edited text inserting instead:

[[break time="5000ms"/]]

Then I also defined speech replacements (case sensitive replacement is the fastest to execute) to replace [[ with < and ]] with >. It worked fine, gave me a 5000 ms (5 seconds) pause even in the middle of some sentence.

If you have some places in text marked differently where you want a pause, say you have 3 stars: *** - you can define a speech replacement like:

Type: case insensitive
    Pattern: ***
    Replace: <break time="3000ms"/>

This worked fine for me too with IVONA and Samsung voices. With Google, Acapela and Pico TTS voices it did not work, apparently they don't support SSML.

Greg
    post edited by Admin - 2015/05/21 21:13:55
    mmm
    User
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Long pause on text. 2015/05/08 20:49:44 (permalink)
    Yup, Google TTS quality has gotten much better, it would really suck having to deal with IVONA again just because of a pause. I was kinda hoping @Voice could treat something like " ." as a full sentence without skipping through. I guess no tricks like that, huh?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1