boing
User
  • Total Posts : 0
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2016/06/23 08:23:29 (permalink)

Deployment of Hypersnap 8.11 *solved*

Hello,

I try to deploy hypersnap 8.11 on Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit.

The installation and disabling the updates in user part is no problem.
The current problem is, that the uninstallation is not working as expected.

The planned deployment is:
Wait until program is ended, run <INSTALLDIR>\HprUnInst.exe -s and wait until process is terminated. A maximum or 60 minutes is defined.
After the installation is completed, I want to cleanup the program folder and remove it.

The following happens:
checks if the program is started. If not the deployment system starts <INSTALLDIR>\HprUnInst.exe -s and lose the trigger on this process after about 0.5 seconds.
The cleaning of program folder confirms, that some files are still used and will be removed after reboot. If I check the folder after some time, the folder is fully removed.

So I changed the uninstallation process and call the uninstallation, wait for 60 seconds and check if the folder is removed, which it was in all test cases.

Could you tell me, how to improve the uninstallation?

best regards,
Martin

EDIT: and it would be great to encrypt the passwords. If I got a plain text password sent to my email a long time after the registration, the clear password is saved instead of an encypted one.
post edited by boing - 2016/06/28 05:37:52

6 Replies Related Threads

Admin
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 275
    • Scores: 6
    Re: Deployment of Hypersnap 8.11 2016/06/23 12:20:34 (permalink)
    I'm not sure what else could be improved. To make self-deleting possible, the uninstaller (HprUnInst.exe) copies itself to a temporary folder and under a temporary name, and runs this copy to delete the files, then exits. So you would really need to watch that temporary process... Or I could look into the source code what parameters I pass to this temp process, and you could do it yourself it you want - copy HprUnInst.exe to temp directory, run from there with the correct parameters to uninstall, then the temp file logs a command in the registry to remove itself with the next reboot... Let me know what's needed.

I'm not sure what passwords you mean, HyperSnap does not use and save any passwords, except maybe for uploading to ftp servers, if you use that (rarely used) function and mark the option to save password. In this case I do scramble it before saving the password to the registry. Or do you mean the license key?

Greg
    boing
    User
    Re: Deployment of Hypersnap 8.11 2016/06/24 03:11:18 (permalink)
    Hi Greg,

thanks for your answer.
    I already tried to do the first step. But it was not working. Probably the WMI request was wrong.

I try your second answer now.

And for the password thing: I mean the forum's passwords.
    post edited by boing - 2016/06/24 10:10:26
    Admin
    Administrator
    Re: Deployment of Hypersnap 8.11 2016/06/24 03:28:35 (permalink)
    The forum software is not my product, but I should probably get a security certificate for my site and run it all through https protocol instead... Not sure if you need any more help from me about the uninstaller, if you do, please tell exactly what's needed.

Greg
    boing
    User
    Re: Deployment of Hypersnap 8.11 2016/06/27 12:08:11 (permalink)
    My deployment system had a little bit trouble in looking for random process names. Now I found a working solution.

Could you tell me, if there are different filename possible? My first look with Procmon gives my a filename hpr*.tmp. But now the uninstaller is uni*.tmp.

A much better solution would be handling the uninstallation like NSIS installer. The default uninstallation is same like in Hypersnap. But you can give a special parameter for a temp folder. The uninstaller will be written there and the process will be closed if the uninstallation is completed. The uninstaller will be not deleted then. So you just need to delete the uninstaller and the folder and everything is removed in a very clean way.
    Admin
    Administrator
    Re: Deployment of Hypersnap 8.11 2016/06/27 18:34:27 (permalink)
    The process to watch is uni*.tmp. I get the folder where it is created with GetTempPath() Win32 API call, and the actual file name with GetTempFileName(szTempPath, _T("uni"), 0, szTempName); call. It returns me something like:

"C:\\Users\\greg\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\uni5F1A.tmp"

However, here is a better way of doing this for you:

1. Copy HprUnInst.exe, mfc120u.dll, msvcp120.dll and msvcr120.dll to some temporary folder.
    2. Run HprUnInst.exe from that temp folder with the following parameters:

-delself "C:\Program Files\HyperSnap 8\HprUnInst.exe" -s

The 2nd parameter should be the actual path and file name of the original location of HprUnInst.exe, before you copied it.

3. Wait until HprUnInst.exe process finishes, then delete the 4 files you copied in 1.

Greg

boing
    User
    Re: Deployment of Hypersnap 8.11 2016/06/28 05:37:30 (permalink)
    Hi Greg,

I used the wildcard method now for uninstall using the uninstaller in INSTALLDIR.

Thanks for your help.
    I will update the thread's topic with "solved". There are lots of information included which could be useful for others.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1