Reply to post

Would you consider including version number in .exe file so it shows up in the status bar?

Author
c627627
User
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2016/04/01 16:35:36 (permalink)

Would you consider including version number in .exe file so it shows up in the status bar?

If either File Version of Product version (not sure which) is included in the Properties > Details TAB of the downloaded installation .exe file then it would conveniently show in Windows status bar so we can easily see what version number we have. Would you consider including version info in .exe files of future releases?

6 Replies Related Threads

Admin
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 275
    • Scores: 6
    Re: Would you consider including version number in .exe file so it shows up in the status 2016/04/01 18:14:46 (permalink)
    Hi,
    actually all versions of HyperSnap have version numbers entered, to verify, navigate with File Explorer to the folder where HyperSnap 8 is installed, right-click file HprSnap8.exe, choose Properties from the menu that appears, and switch to the Details tab. Both File version and Product version are there (numbers are the same, now 8.11.2.0), but I don't know how to make them visible in the status bar. And what _exactly_ do you mean by the status bar?

Greg
    c627627
    User
    Re: Would you consider including version number in .exe file so it shows up in the status 2016/04/01 23:26:07 (permalink)
    Example 1: As you can see the File version and Product version field is empty for Hypersnap and as a result the only thing displayed on the bottom of the screenshot (lower left corner of Windows explorer window) is date and size.

Example 2 below is for another program, as you can see what happens when those fields are filled, you clearly see the file version in Windows Task Bar without having to actually install the program and find out the hard way.

post edited by c627627 - 2016/04/01 23:36:06
    Admin
    Administrator
    Re: Would you consider including version number in .exe file so it shows up in the status 2016/04/02 07:50:06 (permalink)
    What you are showing on your pictures is HS8Setup.exe file - the installer, which you run only once to install the product. The actual program that you use is HprSnap8.exe, usually somewhere in:

C:\Program Files\HyperSnap 8\

directory. The setup program shows HyperSnap version number on the first screen you see after starting it to install the product...

Greg
    c627627
    User
    Re: Would you consider including version number in .exe file so it shows up in the status 2016/04/02 09:08:09 (permalink)
    Yes :)

Example: If a new version comes out and I download it and there is an exiting download from a few days ago and another download from a few days before that... and if I don't run the setup immediately, which of the three downloads is the latest one... I have to actually run the executable to find out.

But if version number is inside the executable, then it would show up in the left left corner allowing quick self-identification... I guess it only makes sense if you're into super-fats computing and don't want to take a few seconds to run the setup executable and find out...

Sorry for not being clear on which exe I was talking about but I would agree that this is not a big deal if the process of including the ID in setup exe isn't easy/automated... Most people probably don't care...
    The program works great and is very mature!

Admin
    Administrator
    Re: Would you consider including version number in .exe file so it shows up in the status 2016/04/02 09:13:52 (permalink)
    Not sure if this is worth the trouble, particularly since the top level .exe you download component is a 3rd party utility which I cannot easily change. Would have to investigate how to do this, introduce some hack into my build process etc. And double-clicking to start the installer and see the version does not seem that much work over actually right-clicking it and clicking the "Details" tab to see the same info.

Greg
    CRussel
    User
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re: Would you consider including version number in .exe file so it shows up in the status 2016/04/24 14:58:23 (permalink)
    Or do what I do and add a version number to the downloaded filename with SaveAs. 

I do agree it would be nice to have the installer versioned, but if it's a royal PITA for Greg, then not worth it, since the workarounds are fairly easy. But it I agree, it's an annoyance. 

Charlie.
    (8 > max. 0)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1