Author
rkesmodel
User
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2012/09/14 16:33:10 (permalink)

Aligning shapes

Is there a way to align multiple shapes?  I would like to chose multiple shapes, then be able to align them by their top, bottom, left, or right edges, their verticle or horizontal centers, etc.

Thanks.

Roy

Please provide this additional data: 
Exact HyperSnap version in use (from Help/About menu): __7.18.00____ 
Windows version in use: __XP Pro____ 

10 Replies Related Threads

Support
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 4492
    • Scores: 29
    Re:Aligning shapes 2012/09/15 14:30:35 (permalink)
    Hi Roy,
    I have the "align" feature in HyperSnap 7, but currently it seems to be broken, will have to repair something in the code and re-thing how it works. I hope I can find time to do this next week.

Currently (being broken) it will only align the selected shapes to the left, right, top or bottom edge of the image, maybe after such align you could grab them with the mouse and move where needed. To do this, select several shapes by holding Ctrl button and clicking on them, then right-click one of selected shapes and choose "Align" item from the drop-down menu.

Greg
    Support
    Administrator
    Re:Aligning shapes 2012/09/20 12:01:11 (permalink)
    I fixed the issue with aligning shapes now in version 7.19 of HyperSnap, and also added the "Align" command to the "Edit" tab of HyperSnap ribbon.

Greg
    rkesmodel
    User
    Re:Aligning shapes 2012/09/24 17:26:40 (permalink)
    Thanks!
    Jerry
    User
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Aligning shapes 2012/09/29 15:02:26 (permalink)
    Greg,
        I find the current alignment capability, even fixed, to be rather cumbersome and limited. I urge you to consider making it more like the conventional approach found in other good drawing programs. Specifically:
    • Instead of having the user complete the alignment by moving and setting a grid line, just simply align the objects relative to their own top, bottom, left and right edges and/or centers, but keep them selected so the user can then reposition the aligned group where desired.
    • With the above convention in place, a preferred set of alignment options would then be as listed below, in a single popup where you can independently select the desired horizontal and vertical specifications and apply them both in one step:
      • HORIZONTAL Alignment: Left; Centrally; Right; Equally Spaced, None
      • VERTICAL Alignment: Top; Centrally; Bottom; Equally Spaced, None
    Jerry

post edited by Jerry - 2012/09/29 16:35:36
    Support
    Administrator
    Re:Aligning shapes 2012/10/01 11:30:10 (permalink)
    Interesting option to add align center to the current left/right/top/bottom. But to remove the setting of the alignement line, we would need a way to distinguish one object as a "primary", to which all other would be aligned. I find this way rather confusing when I use it e.g. in Microsoft Visual Studio to align dialog elements... I think it would be difficult to explain to the users, and even more difficult to make selecting the "primary" object intuitive. In VS I never remember if I need to hold Ctrl, or Shift, or both to set the new primary object from the number of already selected objects, and always make a mistake here.

Besides, how to visually distinguish this primary object? By different selection handles - different shape or size of these handles, or a different color? It's really rather messy.

Greg
    Jerry
    User
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Aligning shapes 2012/10/01 15:01:35 (permalink)
    Hi Greg,
      The choice of the "primary" object need not be complicated since it's expected the user will subsequently reposition the aligned group to the desired location right afterwards. It's not an explicit choice the user has to make or that you need to have to distinguish with controls or otherwise. But I would suggest in each case choosing the object whose corresponding (center, left/right/top/bottom edge) is in the relative "middle" of all of them.

The best way to illustrate the sort of behavior I'm talking about is to look at this instructional video from Xara.com for the alignment function in their drawing software. Keep in mind, they have even more alignment options than the basic ones I suggested and those can be ignored for now.

I used Xara and later Xara 2 a great deal back in the early 90's and still have Corel Xara 2 after they sold the rights to Corel. But since then, they bought the rights back and the Xara software is here again, better than ever and for only $89 for the basic version. For my money, this is the best, most intuitive, drawing and image program that exists.

Most of my suggestions in the forum here will be based on the Xara experience, but I'm not trying to have you turn HyperSnap into another Xara.  I see great utility in using HyperSnap - one program - for screen capture and most of my basic drawing and image editing needs. And it's mainly in these basic functional areas - like alignment -- which I'd like HyperSnap to emulate. But again, a lot of this functionality is also the conventional way done in other programs as well, with minor variations.

Jerry

What is VS ?
    Support
    Administrator
    Re:Aligning shapes 2012/10/01 15:22:15 (permalink)
    VS - Visual Studio, to which I referred in my post before :)
    Great suggestions, thank you, Jerry! Will give it some more thought.

Greg
    rkesmodel
    User
    Re:Aligning shapes 2014/03/13 11:06:35 (permalink)
    In LabVIEW (my preferred programming language) alignment works as follows:
    Align bottom - aligns to 'bottom most' item picked
    Align top - aligns to 'top most' item picked
    Align left - aligns to 'left most' item picked
    Align right - aligns to 'right most' item picked
    Align center (vertical or horizontal) - aligns to 'average center' of all items picked

This is very easy to use, remember and visualize
    Support
    Administrator
    Re:Aligning shapes 2014/03/13 12:19:44 (permalink)
    Thank you. This is also how aligning shapes works in HyperSnap 7, just select several of them, then right-click one of selected shapes and choose alignment from the menu that appears.

Greg
    rkesmodel
    User
    Re:Aligning shapes 2014/03/13 12:32:46 (permalink)
    Great, thanks.

BTW, why does my atavar show ERROR!

Roy
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1