OnThePike
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/16 21:37:34 (permalink)

Greetings from OnThePike

Hello everyone!

I'd like to take a moment to introduce myself to you folks, and hope you guys will do the same. My name is Jeff, I'm 43, live on Long Island in New York and work as a New York City Transit Authority Bus driver. Have been doing that for 17 years now. Together, along with my wife Susan, we run a very new (and very slow-going) road trip travel forum. Before that, I ran an extensively large transit related community that has since been taken offline.

In addition to helping Greg here, I am a current moderator at a major anti-spam resource website. I am also a former moderator of a very large automotive forum where my primary duties were cleaning out spammers. I've also lent my hand to the Coppermine Gallery forum where I served as a Supporter assisting in software issues, similar to this forum. I have been either running or moderating web-based forums since 1999. But this ASP Playground forum is my first!

I began using HyperSnap back in 2004, and had previously helped Greg as a moderator here, under the old forum. Life as it is, priorities, interests and passions fluctuate, and I hadn't visited HS as often as in the past. Though I'd use HS every single day for over 7 years, I hadn't spent nearly as much time on the boards. Upon my return, I found that my account hadn't been recreated and sent Greg an email asking what had happened. After a few email exchanges and a cool re-acquaintance of sorts, my account was placed under similar status of years prior.So I hope this helps explain who I am!

I'm looking forward to learning from you guys and helping out where I can. I just downloaded HS7 today, so I'll need some time catching up!

And as always, a BIG thanks to Greg for all the hard work!

Jeff

7 Replies Related Threads

Support
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 4492
    • Scores: 29
    Re:Greetings from OnThePike 2011/05/17 08:42:22 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Thank you, Jeff! Nice introduction. I hope the other helpers will log in and write here as well from time to time. I'll send them separate email invitations. Now back to programming, the amount of work is staggering!

Greg
    Simicro
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 80
    • Scores: 2
    Re:Greetings from OnThePike 2011/05/17 16:02:39 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Hi,

My name is Tony, I'm 40 and I live in Paris, France. I work in the change management field for an institution. Before that I used to work in internet/intranet communications.

I'm a flight simulator enthusiast and I own a french speaking community dedicated to a soaring simulator http://www.condorsim.fr/

I have been using HyperSnap for maybe 4-5 years for :
    - in-game (flight simulator) screenshots for articles to be published in a print magazine
    - screen captures to explain / show things in my forum
    OnThePike
    Administrator
    Re:Greetings from OnThePike 2011/05/18 11:55:11 (permalink)
    Hi Tony!

Nice to meet you. Thanks for responding with your intro.

I took a look at your website, and though I couldn't read a word of it, it looks pretty cool LOL! My website is very small, and basically a road trip forum for those of us in the USA who enjoy cross country travel and such. If you'd care to have a look, it's here: http://www.roadtripforum.net

We use HyperSnap for all of our map overview images. A route is plotted via Google (or whatever), then HS captures the map image, and that's what we post on the forum over the link. Works great. Before that, I used HS for almost everything image related (and even some stuff photograph related) though most of that editing is done with Adobe or Corel.

Anyway glad to know you!
    Jeff
    Simicro
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 80
    • Scores: 2
    Re:Greetings from OnThePike 2011/05/18 16:42:14 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Jeff,

Hehe, you have a phpBB forum too! I know where I need to go now if one day I decide to make a cross country travel. I am a medium skilled Adobe Illustrator enthusiast and I've always wanted to create a map but have never had a good/useful opportunity. So if one day you need a custom and simple map I can try. You would need to provide me the data though.
    OnThePike
    Administrator
    Re:Greetings from OnThePike 2011/05/20 16:20:12 (permalink)
    Hi Tony!

Yep, I'm using phpBB this time. Thought I'd give it a test run since they upgraded the app to version 3. I'm a previous SMF die-hard (and honestly, still prefer it) but wanted to start off using one of the free apps before considering something along the lines of vBulliten or Invision. Seems alright -- good enough for my needs. Not loving the right-side profile area, so I changed that back, and added a few other tweaks as well (isn't that always the case?).

But definitely join us if you're interested in road trips, or any type of ground vacation travel. We're not commercial in any way (I can't stand ads) and the interface is open and "clean". We're also as slow as could possibly be LOL.

As far as mapping is concerned, don't open that Pandora's Box unless you're prepared!! We are always looking for a good Route 66 map. But that is a huge undertaking, considering it technically no longer exists. There are overview maps-a-plenty out and abound, but unless we're talking Google Maps, MS Streets and Trips or similar mapping-specific software, there aren't many graphical representations of the route that depict it as a roadway in comparison to today's roads. Most likely because it would be a huge file that nobody could load anyway, or need be broken into sections which would require more than a single click from the end-user (and we all know what that means)!!

Anyway, thanks for the offer. Will definitely keep your kindness in mind should something pop up.

Jeff
    OnThePike
    Administrator
    Re:Greetings from OnThePike 2016/03/25 02:44:16 (permalink)
    Hi to all again,

Just wanted to say hello to all the new folks here and to thank Greg for a great job as always!
    Admin
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 275
    • Scores: 6
    Re:Greetings from OnThePike 2016/03/25 08:20:54 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Welcome back, Jeff! Will write more later, right now we have about 600 miles to drive today!

Greg
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1