Documentation for replace field in "Edit speech"

Author
jostwald
User
  • Total Posts : 0
  • Reward points: 0
2016/01/25 15:34:41 (permalink)

Documentation for replace field in "Edit speech"

I can see from the forum entry about it spelling out all caps, that the "Replace" field in the "Edit speech" feature supports more than just plain English.  Is there documentation somewhere about everything it supports?  

In particular I'd love a way to tell it a pronunciation at a phonetic level, rather than having to try to figure out an English spelling that will yield the correct pronunciation.  For instance, is there some way to directly represent a schwa?  

Thanks

8 Replies Related Threads

Admin
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 275
    Re: Documentation for replace field in "Edit speech" 2016/01/25 16:08:42 (permalink)
    I'm sorry, a TTS client application like @Voice does not have any access to phonetic level of the TTS engine. Maybe individual TTS voices provide some way of annotating text that is applicable only to that voice, but I don't have any more data on this. If by any chance you decide to explore this on your own and discover something interesting, please let us know!

@Voice speech editing uses (as one of the options) the so calle Regular Expression, RegEx for short. You can find many RegEx references and tutorials on the web. The particular implementation of RegEx that @Voice uses is described here:

http://www.regexlab.com/en/deelx/syntax.htm

Greg
    jostwald
    User
    Re: Documentation for replace field in "Edit speech" 2016/01/26 11:52:31 (permalink)
    so, there does appear to be a standardized TTS markup language, described here
    My initial experiments of having the edit speech feature insert <phoneme> tags have not been successful, probably because the document itself is not wrapped in the correct tags.  I'll let you know if I find a way to get it to work.  
    Admin
    Administrator
    Re: Documentation for replace field in "Edit speech" 2016/02/01 15:53:36 (permalink)
    One thing is the standard, and completely another thing is what any given TTS voice implementation actually supports, so check your voice and the docs for it, what it actually supports.

Then there is another issue in my own software. Currently it strips all html and xml tags before sending text to speech generator. I would have to make it aware of TTS markup language tags and leave them alone...

Greg
    jostwald
    User
    Re: Documentation for replace field in "Edit speech" 2016/02/04 12:17:52 (permalink)
    so, according to this

the android tts engine supports phoneme tags (which are the ones that would be relevant in replacement text).  
    how hard would it be to make it leave these tags alone?  or alternately to have it leave alone any tags that were placed by the replacement feature?
    btw here's the spec for the tts markup.  I apparently left it out of my original post

thanks
    John
    Admin
    Administrator
    Re: Documentation for replace field in "Edit speech" 2016/02/04 12:26:41 (permalink)
    Hi John,
    the forum software does not let users post web links, for security reasons. Could you email me the link you have found?

Greg
    jostwald
    User
    Re: Documentation for replace field in "Edit speech" 2016/02/05 15:32:08 (permalink)
    sent.  Subject is "TTS markup missing links"
    Admin
    Administrator
    Re: Documentation for replace field in "Edit speech" 2016/02/09 19:15:25 (permalink)
    John,
    Nothing of this works with Pico, Google and Acapela TTS voices that I tested so far. I implemented in my debug build and option to leave SSML tags from https://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis/ alone, and tested a few of them, like <emphasis>, <break/>, <break time="3s"/> and even this one from the StackOverflow article you have found:

Testing <phoneme alphabet="xsampa" ph="&#34;{k.t@`"/>.

When the SSML tags are left, all these voices simply read “less-than phoneme alphabet…” etc. If you find some voices and tags that actually are supposed to work with Android, please let me know…

Greg
    Admin
    Administrator
    Re: Documentation for replace field in "Edit speech" 2016/02/10 13:08:12 (permalink)
    Correction. It started to work once I added a <speak>… </speak> wrapper. Specifically, for Google and Acapela voices, the tag:

<break time=”3s”/>

Did work fine, but phoneme, at least with “xsampa” alphabet, was ignored. However the Pico voice did execute it correctly, I believe, for this sample:

<speak>Hello! <break time=”3s”/> Testing <phoneme alphabet=”xsampa” ph=”&#34;{k.t@`”/></speak>

it said something that sounded like:

Hello! … Testing actor

Now we would need to discover, which SSML tags are really supported by each voice, and when phoneme is supported, which alphabet to use…

Greg
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1