Author
c627627
User
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2015/12/14 20:41:02 (permalink)

When Firefox 43 Final comes out tomorrow, HyperSanp add-on will not work on it

In Firefox 43 which comes out tomorrow, we will be able to set this about:config setting to false:
xpinstall.signatures.required
and override the signature requirement in order to continue using our unsigned Add-ons, like HyperSnap.

This override will expire in Firefox 44.

Most people do not know about this override so it might be a good idea to get the HyperSnap Firefox Add-on signed...

6 Replies Related Threads

c627627
    User
    Re: When Firefox 43 Final comes out tomorrow, HyperSanp add-on will not work on it 2015/12/15 14:37:20 (permalink)
    Until Greg gets it signed:

To get a Firefox Add-on signed:

1. Open the Add-on's .xpi installation file with WinRAR or a similar program.

2. Open install.rdf

3. It should be enough to change just one character in value <em:id>

5. Change the maximum Firefox version the add-on supports to three versions after the current version.
    So if the current Firefox version is 43, change this value to 46.0:
    <em:maxVersion>46.0</em:maxVersion>

It is not possible to go higher than three versions ahead of the current version, meaning this process will have to be repeated every three incremental versions of Firefox.

6. Save the edited install.rdf and make sure that .xpi archive is updated with the changes.

7. Go to
    https://addons.mozilla.org/

Sign in Tools > Submit a New Add-on > CHECK: Do not list my add-on on this site > Select a file... > browse to the edited .xpi file > Open > Continue > Enter the name you choose for the edited file > Continue >

Click on where it says "You can download it here:"

**IMPORTANT**

Download the file from this page, and delete the edited file from your computer.
    This is because the one on your computer has not been signed, and the one listed on this page now, has an embedded signature.

8. Finally, after you install the signed Add-on, the old one will still remain installed on Firefox, so you need to manually uninstall the old one.
    Admin
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 275
    • Scores: 6
    Re: When Firefox 43 Final comes out tomorrow, HyperSanp add-on will not work on it 2015/12/15 16:00:48 (permalink)
    Actually my add-on is signed with certificate purchased from Verisign, they do verify who actually buys the digital certificate, that the postal address, email and phone bound to it are valid or not etc. I have no idea why this is no longer good to Firefox and they insist on some home brewed certificate that apparently they issue to anyone who logs to their site anonymously. Will see what I can do, but if it's too much trouble, I guess I'll give up on maintaining this add-on.

Greg
    c627627
    User
    Re: When Firefox 43 Final comes out tomorrow, HyperSanp add-on will not work on it 2015/12/15 16:25:03 (permalink)
    Greg I just emailed you the Hypersnap Add-on signed until Firefox 46.0.0.
    They want to pass the .xpi extensions through their security filters and have them signed, yes anyone can do it, the idea being that Firefox 44 will not allow any extension that didn't pass through Mozilla security, any extension submitted by anyone, the process is automated.

I completely agree with you.

I started a thread on Firefox forums to see if that max version limit can be raised beyond Firefox 46.0.0 because as it stands, it appears that the process has to be repeated ever three versions of Firefox.

Perhaps you can provide a link to the signed add-on rather than releasing a whole new version of Hypersnap over it.

I completely agree with you and if it wasn't for all the other useful add-ons, people would have abandoned Firefox, I don't know why Microsoft and Google don't simply pay off Add-on creators to make their versions for other browsers, that would get them more market share then anything else they tried and spent their money on...

Admin
    Administrator
    Re: When Firefox 43 Final comes out tomorrow, HyperSanp add-on will not work on it 2015/12/17 07:24:18 (permalink)
    Thank you again for helping me figure out how to do the signature quickly. Indeed having the add-on hosted online sounds like a better idea than having it bundled with the program, will think about it. It probably will need updating every 2-3 versions of Firefox anyway, as they keep breaking plugins with new releases of the browser about that often as well...
    c627627
    User
    Re: When Firefox 43 Final comes out tomorrow, HyperSanp add-on will not work on it 2015/12/17 08:15:40 (permalink)
    They were saying something to the effect of how the versions will be bumped up automatically for signed Extensions hosted on line so hopefully, nothing more will have to be done.

Can you post a link to the official Add-on page on Mozilla's web site?
    It should be automatically updatable just like every other Add-on and Firefox itself...
    Admin
    Administrator
    Re: When Firefox 43 Final comes out tomorrow, HyperSanp add-on will not work on it 2015/12/17 20:11:33 (permalink)
    I guess I would have to re-submit again and wait for days, weeks or months for a review. I withdraw my submission for a listing yesterday, and re-submitted as unlisted add-on to speed things up.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1