pga
User
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2015/03/25 05:15:51 (permalink)

Unable to open file

Hi all

We have a VDI-Environment in our Company. The Windowsmachine is deleted and recreated every day.

The Problem is that Hypersnap want to open the last shots on startup which are not there any more. The Message is like "Unable to open snap.dhs."

What can I do to avoid this error message?

Thank you for your help.

Patrick
TomD101
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 303
  • Scores: 5
Re: Unable to open file 2015/03/25 05:56:15 (permalink)
Hello Patrick,

I also know this message from our corporate environment.
Try the following:
Go to Startup and Tray Options. Fastest way is calling File menu and look down left to the exit button. Click on Startup and you have the dialogue window.
Set Amount of files last used to 0 (zero). Default is 4.
Check Delete list of recent files and also check ALL Files.
This will have HyperSnap to disregard any history and thus prevent HyperSnap from calling any files.
Now let's hope, this option can be activated and be kept during restarting on next day.
Any inaccurate menu and file descriptions on my part stem from me using the German HyperSnap.
Good luck.
Thomas
The Lesser Admin

The more things stay, the more they change the sane.
(52 > max. 0)
pga
User
Re: Unable to open file 2015/03/25 06:08:28 (permalink)
Hi Thomas

Thank you for your prompt answer.

I have noticed that this Settings are not kept in hypersnap. As soon as I close the dialog window and open it again the Setting is
changed back.

Do you know the registry keys by Chance? So that I can distribute these Settings to all users.

Patrick
post edited by pga - 2015/03/25 06:21:50
TomD101
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 303
  • Scores: 5
Re: Unable to open file 2015/03/25 07:47:15 (permalink)
Hi Patrick,
HS saves all these changes in the cfg-file accessible in the Configuration ribbon. It MAY be, that saving in a system folder - and c:\program files (X86)\ counts as such prevents the file from being written.
Set the parameters you want, save the cfg and again save the cfg to another directory (with full access).
Copy the cfg (in its desired form) into the system folder and try again.

Alternatively, start HS with the parameter -ra. You have to edit the link in the start menu or create a new, improved link. -ra forces HS to remeber, keep and use the last used settings, even special settings like this.
CAVEAT: It also saves things like "put a pink border around EVERY capture", use "sickenly romantic"-font as default or similar things. It will probably be the solution to your problem, but more experienced users could encounter things, that would normally be discarded upon exiting HS.
The good with the bad.
Good luck
Thomas
The Lesser Admin

The more things stay, the more they change the sane.
(52 > max. 0)
Admin
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Scores: 6
Re: Unable to open file 2015/03/26 08:27:02 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby pga 2015/03/30 08:08:08
I'm not sure does VDI work - are all the user directories deleted? How about the registry entries for the current user, current computer etc.?
A quick work-around for the "Unable to open snap.dhs." message upon opening the program would be to exit HyperSnap before each machine shutdown, using File/Exit menu, or if the tray icon is shown, right-click it and choose "Exit HyperSnap". It will prompt to save unsaved captures, choose "Save none", or whatever is needed. Otherwise it saves them to a temporary directory under the user file tree, and tries to re-open them upon next startup.

Greg
pga
User
Re: Unable to open file 2015/03/30 08:18:32 (permalink)
Hi Greg

The Exit-Method won't last. As soon as new snaps are taken it appears again.

Probably the temporary Directory is away. Registry settings I can do with Group policies without problems. I just need to know the entry.

Patrick

Admin
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Scores: 6
Re: Unable to open file 2015/03/30 14:18:34 (permalink)
@Voice registry entries are under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hyperionics\HyperSnap 8

There is a little bit of data also under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hyperionics\HyperSnap 8

However, with the "unable to open Snap.dhs" message, could you check the shortcut that is used to start HyperSnap 8 on that machine - maybe it has "Snap.dhs" as the parameter, following "[path]\HprSnap8.exe" part? Any file name following the .exe is interpreted as a file name to open, and that file may not exist.

Greg

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1