Author
bosjt
User
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2015/01/30 06:54:18 (permalink)

Automatically inserting resized captures into MS Word document

What I'd like to do is be able to easily insert captured images into an MS Word document at a smaller scale. I realize that captured images can be automatically placed onto the clipboard so inserting these into the document involves simply using CTRL-V. But for documentation purposes screen captures look better scaled down by 70% and that involves a few extra steps either within MS Word after insert (Size and Position > Scale) or within Hypersnap before insert (Image > Scale, then recopy scaled image to the clipboard). Also, being able to insert the Carriage Return twice would be nice so that I can simply CTRL-SHIFT-R over and over while in a Webex session and then find that all the screen caps are automatically inserted at a good scale.

Is there any way to automate some of this with the macro functions? Another desired workflow would be to use a macro after editing a captured screen to automate the process of (1) Scaling the currently open edited image within Hypersnap, (2) placing it onto the clipboard, (3) inserting it into the open MS Word document, (4) inserting two Carriage Returns. This let's me first trim the screen capture a bit before inserting the scaled image into the document.

Any ideas would be helpful even if they don't do the full process described. Thank you!
Admin
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Scores: 6
Re: Automatically inserting resized captures into MS Word document 2015/01/30 08:09:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bosjt 2015/02/03 22:11:56
There is an option to auto-scale captured images, under Capture Settings button - Crop & Scale. However not sure if scaling will be the best option - you'll lose some image detail, and it may be noticeable when the document is printed, or viewed on very high resolution monitors. It's probably better to insert original image, and resize it smaller inside MS Word, e.g. by dragging the corner handles, or setting scaling in Image Properties. That way the document will have all the pixels to use when rendering to high resolution devices.

In HyperSnap 8 there are options to send any keys you want with automatic paste. It could be even a complex command to select the just pasted image, open it's properties and set scale.You may access this from Capture Settings - Copy & Print tab, enable Copy and "Paste to" options, then choose "Advanced: Send custom Paste keys". Then click "Edit Paste keys" button, where you may enter any keys you want. Press the Help button there to read the documentation on this feature. It's very powerful, even has commands to add delays, expand macros, produce beeps etc.

Not sure though how to access the "Image size and position" or "Layout" dialog box in MS Word from the keyboard, normally I use right-click on a selected image... Select just pasted image is easy - after the paste key (Shift-Insert for example) send Shift + Left Arrow. If you discover a keyboard combination to do this, please share. Otherwise, to resize the image to your preferred relative size, maybe you could write a Word macro, assign it a keyboard shortcut, and then invoke it by sending the keys for your macro shortcut.

Greg
bosjt
User
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Scores: 0
Re: Automatically inserting resized captures into MS Word document 2015/02/03 22:13:21 (permalink)
These are good ideas, I'll try to get help with them and update if I get it working.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1