Author
cybernut
User
  • Total Posts : 91
  • Scores: 4
  • Reward points: 0
2014/09/30 10:22:14 (permalink)

Difficulty using Region capture in HS 7

For months, I have been having difficulty using the Region capture feature of HyperSnap.  I'm currently using version 7.29.03 on Win 7 Pro 64-bit, but the problem started when using earlier version 7's as well.  I'd say that about half the time, when I try to capture part of the screen, the capture aborts almost at the start or after I've captured just a small piece of what I wanted.  I keep trying, and after a few more bad tries, I succeed.  I never had this problem before version 7 (I've been happily using HS since 1997), and perhaps not at the start of my using version 7.  I kept trying different version 7s, hoping each time that this one would solve the problem, but none did.  I've been meaning for months to write to the forum asking for help with this, but I haven't done so until now.  I don't know why sometimes it works on the first try, nor what I'm doing differently (if anything) when it doesn't work.

To my surprise, I see that there's now a version 8.  I used to get notified in the HS interface whenever there was a new version, but I knew nothing about version 8.  Had I known, I'd have happily tested beta versions.  I've now read the "what's new in version 8," and frankly there doesn't seem to be anything that addresses any issues that are important to me.   Is there any likelihood that upgrading to version 8 will cure this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.
TomD101
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 303
  • Scores: 5
Re: Difficulty using Region capture in HS 7 2014/09/30 12:34:51 (permalink)
Hello Cybernut,
if you are using the German version of HS, then no update notification to HS 8 will appear. The translation is not finished yet.
Greg may answer the question, if HS 7 actually offers update to HS 8, as it may reset the (then running) version into trial mode. Not every user will see, that HS has two installs (v7 AND v8). So I assume, there may be a notification about a new version but no actual upgrade.
As I tested HS 8 quite early, I can't say, what happens to "normal users".

Apart from that, I can't for the world understand your problem, though you are not the first to notify us about it. I used EVERY version since v 4.x on EVERY OS since Windows 95. I never had any problems. So it MAY be an installation problem, a hardware problem, a configuration problem or a security problem. Please read the post of ASL (http://hyperionics.com/forum2/tm.aspx?m=10993#10994) for a weird problem and a even weirder solution.
You see, there is no telling, what could cause the behavior.
Please test HS 8 (parallel to HS 7) and see, if it happens again. It might be an indicator to a faulty system.
Also see my answer to Arsen (http://hyperionics.com/forum2/tm.aspx?m=10996#10997) about both programs running parallelly (?).
Good luck
Thomas
The Lesser Admin

The more things stay, the more they change the sane.
(52 > max. 0)
Admin
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Scores: 6
Re: Difficulty using Region capture in HS 7 2014/09/30 13:38:45 (permalink)
cybernut
For months, I have been having difficulty using the Region capture feature of HyperSnap.  I'm currently using version 7.29.03 on Win 7 Pro 64-bit, but the problem started when using earlier version 7's as well.  I'd say that about half the time, when I try to capture part of the screen, the capture aborts almost at the start or after I've captured just a small piece of what I wanted.  I keep trying, and after a few more bad tries, I succeed. 
(...)

Cybernut,
did you consider something as simple as malfunctioning mouse? Could you try with a different mouse or track-pad?

Normal region capture procedure is to start it with a hot key or from HyperSnap menu/ribbon, then move the mouse and _click_ (press and release the left mouse button) on one corner, move the mouse without holding any button, and click on another corner. Is this how you do it? If you do something else, please tell me exactly your steps.

Greg
cybernut
User
Re: Difficulty using Region capture in HS 7 2014/10/01 09:50:13 (permalink)
Many thanks, Tom and Greg, for your prompt and helpful responses.  Tom, I'm not using the German version.  I was about to install HS 8 as you suggested, but then I saw Greg's reply, and I think he may have solved my problem, though I'm not yet sure. 

Greg, your description of the procedure for region capture was very helpful, since it differs from what I do.  I too usually use the standard hot key (CTL-SHFT-R) and then move the mouse to one corner.  But when I then click, I press but don't release the left mouse button.  I drag to define the area while continuing to hold the button, and then when I have the area defined, I simply release the button.  [I should add that for normal region captures, I never click at the end, though I do so for extended region captures, after I have defined the area and before clicking on the down arrow of the vertical slider.]  Having read your message, I tried what you said, and it worked.  But then I tried what I usually do, and it too worked (as it does about half the time).  So I'm not yet sure whether the method you've described will continue to work all the time, but I'm hopeful.  After I've had more time to test it out, I'll report back one way or the other.   Again, many thanks!
Admin
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Scores: 6
Re: Difficulty using Region capture in HS 7 2014/10/01 14:29:25 (permalink)
OK, Cybernut, let us know how it works. I still think that the mouse may be a little bit wobbly. Normally upon press - move - release HyperSnap does not finish the capture upon the first release, you need to click again at the 2nd corner. I did it this way, so that you could release the mouse while dragging the rectangle, and eventually use arrow buttons on the keyboard for more precise positioning, plus Enter key to finish the capture. Would be hard to do if you had to keep the left mouse button pressed all the time.

Greg
cybernut
User
Re: Difficulty using Region capture in HS 7 2014/10/06 20:13:33 (permalink)
Greg, I'm happy to report that every time I've tried the method you described, the region capture worked perfectly.  So apparently the problem was caused by my misunderstanding of the correct method.  Thanks very much for clearing this up for me.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1