You may download and install this plugin on your Android device from the link below or from Amazon App Store.
TTS+ Plugin is an enhanced Text-To-Speech plugin for FBReader for Android, the popular free eBook reader created by geometerplus. The plugin module created by Hyperionics and offered here has several enhancements over the original TTS Plugin created by FBReader author:
* Bluetooth play/pause and previous/next controls are handled correctly
* Plays in the background and Bluetooth controls are still handled, allowing you for example to use Navigation software on your phone while driving somewhere and listening to your book at the same time, and pausing/resuming playback as needed.
* Android 4.2 and higher - lock screen widget to pause/resume, next/previous sentence, view book title and progress. This widget can be also used on the home screen under older versions of Android.
* Read by sentences - the plugin pauses and resumes at individual sentences, instead of entire paragraphs. Upon resume, you don't have to listen from the beginning of a long paragraph again.
* Enhanced control panel to set book language, open system TTS Settings to change speech engine, control speech rate, pitch and volume, more...
* The control panel can be minimized to display only a row of small buttons at the bottom over the main FBReader screen, if you want to watch the text it reads at the same time.
* Sleep timer
* Can highlight individual sentences instead of full paragraphs, but this requires a small code change in the main FBReader code.
* Try also our new product, @Voice Aloud Reader!
If your device runs Android 4.2 or higher, you may enable TTS+ Plugin lock screen widget, to easily pause/resume book aloud reading without unlocking your phone:
* press power button on your device to turn on the
screen, but do not unlock it.
* swipe from the left edge of the screen. If you have several lock screen widgets enabled, swipe again until you see a big plus + sign. Press the +.
* find TTS+ Plugin widget and press it, it will appear on the lock screen.
After doing this, you may long-press the widget on the lock screen, and then you can either remove it, or move it to be the first you see when you press the power button etc. Please let me know how it works for you and if it is helpful.
I hope you'll enjoy listening to your books with this enhanced plugin. I have more ideas for its improvement, and will gladly listen to your suggestions and comments as well - post them in our TTS+ Plugin Forum.
NOTE: Some user comments posted on our Play Store pages relate to the specific TTS Engine and voice they are using, to to this Plugin product, e.g. "can't pronounce contractions", "cannot stand this voice", "stops on ..." - in these cases please try another TTS Engine and voice (e.g. download from Play Store and select between IVONA, SVOX Classic, Acapella...)
Greg at Hyperionics
TTS+ Plugin for FBReader is reviewed in Appliv!
* Android 3 and higher - "Edit speech" feature added on
"Select Language or Voice". Lets you replace any words or expressions with other
text to say. Includes case sensitive and insensitive options, and regular
expressions for advanced users.
* Bug fixes and performance improvements
* For Android 4 (ICS) and higher, added a better lookup
of TTS engines, languages and voices.
* Many bug fixes and performance improvements
* On Android 4 and above, you can now select a TTS Engine
different from system default for the Plugin to use - click "More..." button,
* The playback control buttons have now labels that are spoken when using TalkBack.
* Added Bulgarian translation
* Provided an option to use network speech synthesis also on cell networks.
* Added option to use network speech synthesis. Works
under Android 4.1 JellyBean and newer, for now only with Google TTS engine.
Works only if connected via WiFi, offering much better voice quality than local
* Several bug fixes and performance improvements.
* Added option to keep screen on during reading
* Option to auto-start reading when Bluetooth headset connected - click "More..." settings button, then turn on "Start talking when headset connected"
"Set Language" button let's you choose also voice (speaker name) for TTS engines with multiple voices per language, e.g. Acapela, SVOX Classic.
Performance improvements and bug fixes.
Fixing crash upon return from TTS Settings.
Fixing "long pauses between sentences" problem on some hardware.
Removed "examine application stack" permission, found a better and more reliable way to decide when to start TTS speech when headset button pressed.
More but fixes... Works really well for me now :)
Restoring bottom margin correctly even if plugin crashes.
Added an option to start talking when main FBReader is on top and you press headset "play" button. On by default, if unwanted, turn off in "More..." settings. Also works for plugging in a wired headset, if appropriate option is turned on as well.
A small bug fix (crash when reading a "paragraph" of 0 length)
Work-around a bug in Google TTS Engine under jellybean (would not start correctly until all voices for German, Spanish, French and Italian were installed).
Correcting pronunciation of ellipses (...), long dash and non-breaking space.
Disabled ACRA error reporting, and the Internet permission needed for it - there are no more useful error reports coming that way.
Added WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission, needed to TTS activation on some devices.
More bug fixes from incoming crash reports.
English abbreviation replacements did not work with the original, unmodified version of FBReader. This resulted in reading phrases like "Mr. Brown" with a long pause after Mr., as if it was the end of sentence.
Removed "read logs" permission, turns out it's not necessary for our debugging needs.
The error reporting added in ver. 1.4.7 helped me to localize and fix several bugs, including possible crashes. Big "Thank you!" to everyone who clicked the button to send me the crash info!
Added error reporting.
Asks about installing TTS language data, if the language required for current book is not installed.
Added "Add a new language..." option to the language choice screen.
Small improvements to sentence extractor, e.g. will read initials like T. J. Smith without long pauses after each dot.
Updated Russian translation